Vienna in Innenstadt, Wien, Austria
Die “Grosse Strasse” / The “Great Road”
von der "Grossen Strasse" des
Sie wurden von
und sind sprechende Zeugen
28 April 1938
Jüdische Schüler und Lehrer wurden vom Akademischen Gymnasium Wien vertrieben
im Gedenken. Steine
28 April 2001
These three granite slabs were taken from the "Great Road" of the Nazi Party Rally Grounds in Nuremberg. Made with forced labor and by prisoners in concentration camps, they bear witness.
On April 28, 1938, the Jewish students and teachers of the Akademisches Gymnasium (Advanced Secondary School) of Vienna were expelled.
In commemoration - these stones. April 28, 2001
Karl Prantl, Sculptor
Location. 48° 12.071′ N, 16° 22.605′ E. Marker is in Vienna, Wien, in Innenstadt. Marker is at the intersection of Lothringerstrasse and Pestalozzigasse, on the right when traveling south on Lothringerstrasse Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vienna, Wien 1010, Austria.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Franz Schubert (within shouting distance of this marker); Lise Meitner (within shouting distance of this marker); Erwin Schrödinger (within shouting distance of this marker); Gustav Mahler (within shouting distance of this marker); Leonard Bernstein (within shouting distance of this marker); Feng Shan Ho (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Palais Erzherzog Ludwig Viktor / Palace of Archduke Ludwig Viktor (about 150 meters away); Professor Friedrich Hacker (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vienna.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the eastern side of the Akademischen Gymnasium Wien (Advanced Secondary School of Vienna).
Also see . . .
1. Nazi party Rally Grounds (Wikipedia). "The Nazi party rally grounds (German: Reichsparteitagsgelände, Literally: Reich Party Congress Grounds) covered about 11 square kilometres in the southeast of Nuremberg, Germany. Six Nazi party rallies were held there between 1933 and 1938....The great road is almost 2 km (1.2 mi) long and 40 m (130 ft) wide. It was intended to be the central axis of the site and a parade road for the Wehrmacht. In its northwestern prolongation the road points towards Nuremberg Castle. This was to create a relation between the role of Nuremberg during the Third Reich and its role during medieval times....The road reached from the Congress Hall to the Märzfeld, the construction work started in 1935 and was finished in 1939 (it has never been used as a parade road, as due to the beginning of World War II, the last rally was held in 1938). The pavement was made of granite pavers in black and gray with edges of exactly 1.2 m (3.9 ft).....After the war, the road was used as a temporary airfield for the US Army. Nowadays, it is used by the nearby Nuremberg fair and exhibition company as an occasional parking area for highly frequented fairs." (Submitted on October 3, 2017.)
2. Schulprofil/School Profile (Akademisches Gymnasium Wien, in German). "The Akademische Gymnasium is the oldest secondary school in Vienna. It was founded in 1553 on the initiative of King Ferdinand I (Emperor of 1556-1564) by the Jesuit Order. It was part of a major reform program ("Nova Reformatio"), which was intended to remove the consequences of the schism and the Protestant influence on the clergy and the university professors of Vienna....In the course of the nineteenth century, the school became the main educational institution for the sons of the well-educated, especially the liberal-bourgeois-cultural elite of Vienna. It was the Viennese school with the largest proportion of Jewish pupils. This also led to the biggest "bleeding" in its history, in 1938. After the German annexation of Austria, 43% of the pupils had to leave school ("The Retraining" on April 24, 1938) because they were of Jewish origin." (Submitted on October 3, 2017.)
Additional keywords. Holocaust
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Roads & Vehicles • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 3, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.