Commemorating the site of the former Port Henry Powerplant, demolished in 1971
Powerhouse Park still serves as a staging area for ice fishing shanties during the winter and remains of the old Port Henry Powerhouse form its boundary along Mill Creek.
A mixture of six parts mine tailings to one park concrete was used to construct the building in 1907. It was one of four interconnected generating plants built to meet the growing demands of mines and mills in Moriah. The 175' stack had an inside diameter of eight feet, and the plant's two coal fired steam turbines (one 800 kilowatt and one 1500 kilowatt) generated 500,000 kilowatt hours of electricity per month. Both were 6600 volt, three phase, 25 cycle, 1500 r.p.m. vertical shaft turbines. Current traveled on bare copper wires to the iron ore mining and processing operations of Witherbee, Sherman & Co. at Mineville and to the Cheever Iron Ore Co. mines at Cheever. The monolithic plant produced power for fifteen years and was eventually sold to New York State.
[Inset map reads] Arrangement of Transmission System
Location. 44° 3.111′ N, 73° 27.123′ W. Marker is in Port Henry, New York, in Essex County. Touch for map. Marker is in Powerhouse Park along Lake Champlain, at the east end of the parking lot off Dock Street. Marker is in this post office area: Port Henry NY 12974, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
More about this marker. The marker is deteriorated.
Also see . . .
1. Power Plant Postcard, c.1915, in Moriah and Port Henry in the Adirondacks. (Submitted on October 15, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Port Henry Power Plant in The Iron Trade Review, Sep 2, 1909, p.418. (Submitted on October 15, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 80 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.