Silver Spring in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
• Reforestation project: 60 native trees were planted.
• Cisterns: 6 concrete pads and rainwater collection cisterns were installed.
• Conservation landscaping: 23 shrubs, 692 perennials, and 254 grasses were added to the area.
Grant Award: $32,000 grant from the Chesapeake Bay Trust through the Montgomery County Water Quality Protection Fund administered by the Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection
Recipient: Glen Waye Garden Condominiums (Glen Waye)
Grantee: Bethesda Green
Partners: Montgomery County RainScapes, Tree Montgomery
• Trees absorb a large amount of stormwater to replenish local aquifers.
• Trees provide food and habitat for birds, pollinators, and small animals.
• Trees are aesthetically pleasing which increases property values.
• Trees clean the air and provide shade which reduces heat island effects.
Erected by Glen Waye Gardens Condominium.
Location. 39° 3.687′ N, 77° 2.762′ W. Marker is in Silver Spring, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Glenallen Touch for map. This marker is located in the Glenmont neighborhood of Silver Spring. Marker is in this post office area: Silver Spring MD 20906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cisterns (approx. 0.2 miles away); Conservation Landscaping (approx. 0.2 miles away); Azalea Garden (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fragrance Garden (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Bridge to Understanding (approx. 0.6 miles away); Composting (approx. 0.6 miles away); Trial Garden (approx. 0.6 miles away); Formal Gardens (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silver Spring.
Also see . . . Stormwater Management at Glen Waye Gardens. Video describing the program. (Submitted on October 14, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Environment •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 103 times since then. Last updated on October 16, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.