Mill Creek in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
May 8, 1864. 1 A. M.: Col. W.C.P. Breckinridge’s 9th Ky., Grigsby’s brigade, Wheeler’s cav., descended from Dug Gap & patrolled the roads N. & W. to ascertain if any Federals were there. By 1:30 P. M. Breckinridge found Dogwood Valley swarming with Federals, a brigade of which, in support of Kilpatrick’s cav., was enroute S. to Villanow. Later, the 9th Ky., confronted by 2 brigades, Geary’s div., 20th A. C., moving E., was forced to retreat to Dug Gap. Geary, reaching this vicinity at 3 p. m., deployed his 2 brigades for the storming of Dug Gap.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 44.195′ N, 85° 2.477′ W. Marker is in Mill Creek, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Creek Road and Babb Road, on the right when traveling north on Mill Creek Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dalton GA 30720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Dug Gap (here, Dug Gap (approx. 1.5 miles away); Ascent to Dug Gap (approx. 2.4 miles away); a different marker also named Dug Gap (approx. 2.6 miles away); Johnny Marcus Memorial Loop (approx. 3.3 miles away); Twentieth Corps in Dogwood Valley (approx. 3.6 miles away); "Callaway Place" - 1814. (approx. 3.6 miles away); Geary's Division to Dug Gap (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mill Creek.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 923 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2017, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.