Helena in Phillips County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Seven large guns, or cannons, protected Fort Curtis
These large guns were usually found at coastal forts, where they provided defense against well-armed ships. Fort Curtis's guns never fired on a ship but they helped repel the Confederate soldiers who attacked Helena on July 4, 1863.
The twin forts below New Orleans mounted large guns like those in Fort Curtis.
Erected 2012 by the Arkansas Department of Heritage/Delta Cultural Center.
Location. 34° 31.511′ N, 90° 35.495′ W. Marker is in Helena, Arkansas, in Phillips County. Marker can be reached from York Street west of Columbia Street. Touch for map. Located inside the replica New Fort Curtis. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 Columbia Street, Helena AR 72342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flags over Fort Curtis (within shouting distance of this marker); The New Fort Curtis (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Curtis, 1862-1867 (within shouting distance of this Defending Helena (within shouting distance of this marker); Who Built Fort Curtis (within shouting distance of this marker); Life Under Union Occupation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); U.S.C.T. in Helena (about 300 feet away); The Civil War Brings Hardship (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helena.
Regarding The Guns. The reconstructed fort was dedicated in Helena-West Helena on May 11, 2012, and is open to the public.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture article about Fort Curtis. (Submitted on October 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.