Silver Spring in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 2015, Glen Waye Gardens Condominiums and Bethesda Green undertook three major methods to reduce Glen Waye's stormwater runoff:
• Reforestation Project: 60 native trees were planted.
• Cisterns: 6 concrete pads and rainwater collection cisterns were installed.
• Conservation landscaping: 23 shrubs, 592 perennials, and 254 grasses were added to the area.
Grant Award: $32,000 grant from the Chesapeake Bay Trust through the Montgomery County Water Quality Protection Fund administered by the Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection
Recipient: Glen Waye Garden Condominiums (Glen Waye)
Grantee Bethesda Green
Partners: Montgomery County RainScapes, Tree Montgomery
Conservation Landscaping: 600 square feet of landscaping was installed, as well as groundcover for the reforestation plan.
• Storing water for later reduces watering costs for the community and reduces cost of landscape maintenance.
• Invasive plants reduce biodiversity in our ecosystems and often replace important native species. By including native plants whenever possible in the landscaping, we are providing important sources of food and habitat for local wildlife and encouraging biodiversity.
Glen Waye Gardens:
2305 Greenery Lane Plant List, 10/30/16
Erected 2016 by Glen Waye Gardens Condominium.
Location. 39° 3.742′ N, 77° 2.961′ W. Marker is in Silver Spring, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Greenery Lane 0.1 miles east of Layhill Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. In the Glenmont neighborhood of Silver Spring, MD. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2305 Greenery Lane, Silver Spring MD 20906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cisterns (within shouting distance of this marker); Reforestation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Azalea Garden (approx. ¾ mile away); The Bridge to Understanding (approx. ¾ mile away); Fragrance Garden (approx. 0.8 miles away); Composting (approx. 0.8 miles away); Trial Garden (approx. 0.8 miles away); Formal Gardens (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silver Spring.
Categories. • Environment •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.