Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Celaya in Municipality of Celaya, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Temple of San Francisco - Headquarters of the Patroness of Celaya

 
 
The Temple of San Francisco - Headquarters of the Patroness of Celaya Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 28, 2017
1. The Temple of San Francisco - Headquarters of the Patroness of Celaya Marker
Inscription.
Templo de San Francisco
Sede de la Patrona de Celaya
En octubre 12 de 1570, fue autorizada la fundación de la “Villa de Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion de Zalaya”.

En Diciembre de 1577, aproximadamente, D. Martin de Ortega y su esposa Ma. Magdalena de la Cruz, de los primeros fundadores, donaron la imagen de la Purisima Concepcion, traída de España.

En 1774 ante esta Imagen, las Autoridades y Moradores renovaron el juramento de patronato hecho por sus antepasados.

El 12 de octubre de 1909, por gracia de Pio X fue solemnemente coronada por el Arzobispo D. Atenogenes Silva.

Hoy, 12 de octubre de 1970, Celaya en el IV Centenario de su fundación – reafirma su voluntad y jura tener a la Purisima Concepcion, como su única Patrona.

English translation:
Temple of San Francisco
Headquarters of the Patroness of Celaya
On October 12, 1570, the foundation of the "Villa de Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion of Zalaya" (the Villa of Our Lady of the Conception of Zalaya) was authorized.

In approximately December of 1577, D. Martin de Ortega and his wife María Magdalena de la Cruz, of the first founders, donated the image of the Purísima Concepción (the Most Pure Conception), brought from Spain.

In 1774, before
The Temple of San Francisco - Headquarters of the Patroness of Celaya Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 28, 2017
2. The Temple of San Francisco - Headquarters of the Patroness of Celaya Marker
The featured marker is to the right of the western entryway to the Temple of San Francisco.
this Image, the authorities and townspeople renewed the oath of patronage made by their ancestors.

On October 12, 1909, by the grace of Pope Pius X, the image was solemnly crowned by Archbishop Atenogenes Silva.

Today, October 12, 1970, on the 400th anniversary of its founding, Celaya reaffirms its will and swears to the Purísima Concepción as its true Patroness.
 
Erected 1970.
 
Location. 20° 31.341′ N, 100° 48.712′ W. Marker is in Celaya, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Celaya. Marker can be reached from Calle Independencia just north of Calle José María Morelos, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Celaya, Guanajuato 38000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Temple of Saint Francis (within shouting distance of this marker); Independence Column of Celaya (within shouting distance of this marker); Celaya's Water Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Franciscans in Celaya (within shouting distance of this marker); The History of Celaya
An additional marker at The Temple of San Francisco image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 28, 2017
3. An additional marker at The Temple of San Francisco
To the left of the western entryway of the Temple is this additional marker. It reads:
Templo de San Francisco Villa de Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion de Zalaya Permiso de Fundacion 1570

English translation:
The Temple of San Francisco, Villa of Our Lady of Conception of Zalaya, Permission for the City's Founding on 1570
(about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Ex-Convent of the Temple of Saint Augustine (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Miguel Hidalgo in Celaya (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Celaya.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
An additonal Temple of San Francisco Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 28, 2017
4. An additonal Temple of San Francisco Marker
This additional marker from 1994 notes that the local Franciscan clergy placed themselves under the patronage of the image of the Most Pure Conception. This marker is to the left of the western entrance to the temple.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4. submitted on November 17, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement