Near Tendoy in Lemhi County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Plants New to Science
Meriwether Lewis identified, described and collected plants that were new to science and observed how the Shoshone used local plants. These species can be found in this area:
• Syringa or Mock Orange (Philadelphus lewisii) - Idaho State Flower
• Lewis's Monkey Flower (Mimulus lewisii)
• White Stem Northern Black Gooseberry (Ribes hudsonianum) "I observed a species of deep perple (sic) currant... the fruit is of the ordinary size and shape, but is ascid & very inferior in point of flavor"
• Rocky Mountain Maple (Acer glabrum)
• Common Snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus) later grown in Thomas Jefferson's garden. "It bears a globular berry as large as a garden pea and as white as wax."
"Other objects worthy of notice will be the soil, and face of the country, its growth and vegetable products, especially those not of the U.S..." - From Thomas Jefferson's instructions to Captain Meriwether Lewis, June 20, 1803
When the Corps of Discovery entered the Lemhi Valley in 1805, they entered a healthy
Weedy, seedy desperados known as "Noxious Weeds" threaten the health of public lands today. They adversely impact ecosystem diversity, wildlife habitat, livestock grazing, recreation, and cultural resources.
A posse of federal, state, and county land agencies and private land owners has vowed to bring these desperados in Dead. Support the posse by:
• reporting any sightings of noxious weeds to the BLM at 756-5400;
• removing all weed seeds from clothing, shoes, pets, camping gear, & tire treads;
• avoiding travel in weed-infested areas;
• using only certified weed-free feed to you pack animals; and
• placing weeds in sealed containers for disposal.
Erected by Bureau of Land Management.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Location. 44° 56.997′ N, 113° 33.493′ W. Marker is near Tendoy, Idaho, in Lemhi County. Marker is on Agency Creek Road near Cow Creek, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tendoy ID 83468, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lemhi Shoshone Winter Camps (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis and Clark: The First Idaho Camp The Red Rock Stage (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lewis and Clark: Trading for Horses (approx. 4.3 miles away); Tendoy, Chief of the Lemhi Shoshone (approx. 4.3 miles away); Leaving the Lemhi Valley (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lewis and Clark (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Salmon River Mission (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tendoy.
More about this marker. This marker is located at the Agency Creek Campground.
This marker is on the Lewis and Clark National Back Country Byway and Adventure Road. The Byway is a 36 mile loop from Tendoy, Idaho to Lemhi Pass and back to Tendoy over gravel roads with a 4000 foot gain and loss in elevation. There are 10 designated stops with pullouts on the Byway and over two dozen information panels and markers on route. Estimated travel time is about 3 hours.
Categories. • Exploration • Science & Medicine •
More. Search the internet for Plants New to Science.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.