Moravian mission founded at Wyalusing Indian town by David Zeisberger in 1763. It served as a model for subsequent Indian missions. It was abandoned in 1772, when pastors Ettwein and Roth led some 200 Indians to the mission of Friedenstadt on the Beaver River near Ohio.
Erected 2012 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 41° 39.219′ N, 76° 14.376′ W. Marker is near Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 6 and Moravian Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 6. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wyalusing PA 18853, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sullivan Expedition Against the Iroquois Indians 1779 (a few steps from this marker); Sullivan's March (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); Wyalusing Borough Historic District (approx. 1½ miles away); Wyalusing (approx. 2 miles away); Landscapes of Conservation (approx. 3.1 miles away); Communities Connected by Water (approx. 3.1 miles away); Warriors Path (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wyalusing.
Also see . . .
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.