Culdesac in Nez Perce County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
St. Joseph's Mission
When he came to Lewiston in 1867, Father J.M. Cataldo developed a Jesuit Nez Perce mission
—that continued long after he founded Gonzaga University in Spokane —
A chapel was built a mile up Mission Creek in 1868, but a permanent location was not established until construction of Saint Joseph’s Mission was completed at a more secluded site in 1874. It now is open to visitors as a part of Nez Perce National Historical Park.
Erected by Idaho Historical Society & Idaho Transportation Department. (Marker Number 349.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 22.19′ N, 116° 43.49′ W. Marker is in Culdesac, Idaho, in Nez Perce County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 95 and Lyle Gulch Road, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 95. Touch for map. Marker is located in a pull-out on the north side of US highway 95. Marker is in this post office area: Culdesac ID 83524, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Craig Donation Claim (approx. 2.3 miles away); William Craig (approx. 2.3 miles away); Culdesac (approx. 2.6 miles away); Lapwai Mission (approx. 5 miles away); Railroad Tunnels Spalding's Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); Watson's Store (approx. 6.9 miles away); Rev. Henry Harmon Spalding (approx. 7 miles away).
More about this marker. A large wooden marker in good condition
Also see . . .
1. Saint Joseph Mission.
Protestant missionaries had an established presence in Nez Perce country for over 20 years when Father J.M. Cataldo arrived in 1867. Despite fierce competition from some of the Protestant Churches, Cataldo was successful in establishing St. Joseph's mission, the first Roman Catholic mission to serve the Nez Perce people. A local Nez Perce leader, Chief Slickpoo, gave permission to establish a mission on lands used by his band. (Submitted on November 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. St. Joseph's Mission.
St. Joseph's Mission is located in Lewis County, Idaho certified as a historic location on Thursday June 24, 1976. This location is a protected historic place because of historical significance relating to Religion, more specifically a Religious Structure (Submitted on November 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Slickpoo Idaho - St. Joseph Indian Mission.
(includes good pictures of the mission) This was the first Roman Catholic mission among the Nez Perce Tribe. Built by Father Joseph M. Cataldo, it was dedicated on September 8, 1874. By 1910, St. Joseph’s Mission grounds included a convent, children’s home, and a church building. Fires destroyed the children’s dorms in 1916 and again in 1925. Father Cataldo died in 1928. (Submitted on November 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. Joseph Mary Cataldo S.J.
Joseph Mary Cataldo S.J. (March 17, 1837 – April 9, 1928) was an Italian-American Jesuit priest, a pioneer missionary in the inland Pacific Northwest, who also founded Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington. Cataldo never retired; into his 90s he served the Nez Perce people at Slickpoo near Kamiah, Idaho. He died at age 92 at the Umatilla Indian Reservation, east of Pendleton, Oregon, on April 9, 1928. (Submitted on November 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
5. Father Joseph M. Cataldo.
Father Joseph M. Cataldo’s long northwest missionary career began with his assignment to the Coeur d’Alene’s Sacred Heart Mission in 1865. However, much of his life’s work was dedicated to the Nez Perce as he was a key figure in the establishment of the St. Joseph’s Mission near Lewiston, Idaho. (Submitted on November 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.