The Train Station
1 Washington St.
One cannot over-emphasize the importance of railroads to the continued development of Towanda as a commercial center beginning with the first Pennsylvania and New York (PA & NY) train in September 1869. In the 1870's approximately six passenger, four freight and nine coal trains arrived at and departed from Towanda each way daily. Train traffic persisted even on Sundays when their passing interfered with services at nearby churches.
The large red brick structure was built by PA & NY in 1884 as a freight depot. Later it was used as a station by several rail lines including Barclay, Lehigh Valley, State Line & Sullivan and Susquehanna and New York. The north side of the building housed the station agent, train dispatcher and Western Union operator. The freight room was in the rear of the building.
Location. 41° 45.86′ N, 76° 26.528′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is at the intersection of River Street/Merrill Parkway and Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on River Street/Merrill Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Washington Street, Towanda PA 18848, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1922 Train Station (within shouting distance of this marker);
Also see . . . Towanda Borough Historic District. (Submitted on November 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.