1 Bridge St.
The American Hotel is the oldest remaining hotel site in Towanda. This imposing 20- room hotel was built in the early 1800's by General William Patton, a leading Democrat, lawyer, author and biographer. The Greek Revival three-story structure is located close to the river, which made it accessible for lodging to river travelers. In 1832 the first covered wooden toll-bridge was built across the Susquehanna River at this site, replacing the ferry that had been operating since 1787. At that time the road was raised to bridge level, cutting off front access to the lower stories of the hotel. In 1887 the hotel was purchased and has been continuously occupied by the McMahon / Sheehan families. Three attic windows, a balcony with columns and side porches were added by Anna and Steve Sheehan in the 1900's.
Location. 41° 45.91′ N, 76° 26.522′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is on River Street/Merrill Parkway south of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Bridge Street, Towanda PA 18848, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Creamery (a few steps from this marker); Towanda River Bridges (a few steps
Also see . . . Towanda Borough Historic District. (Submitted on November 6, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.