Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Preserving a Community Resource
The community and government continued to grow in the early part of the twentieth century, creating a need for facilities to house City workers. Beginning in 1932 the Pump House served as the headquarters for the City's Department of Public Works. Interior renovations, including an office and second story, were added in 1949 to accommodate the department.
In 1957 a new water treatment facility was opened, drawing water from the Potomac River. With the new plant, the City abandoned the wells at the Pump House, but the pumps continued to operate. The Department of Public Works remained in the building until 1962 when the building was slated for demolition as being obsolete.
Before the building could be demolished, the City's Director of Recreation, Neil
The Pump House was retained in a public park for use as a community center and was heavily used by the East Rockville neighborhood. Designated as a local historic resource in 2005, it stands as a vital reminder of the City's commitment to its residents and history.
Renovation of the Pump House took place in 2010, under the direction of Burt Hall, Director of Recreation and Parks. The windows were restored to their original height, the ceiling raised and the interior of the building modernized for continued use as a community center and gathering place for public use.
Location. 39° 5.111′ N, 77° 8.457′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on South Horners Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 South Horners Lane, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rockville's Pump House (here, next to this marker); Typhoid in Rockville (here, next to this marker); Rockville Station Saint Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saint Mary’s Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Baseball Field (approx. half a mile away); Rockville Town Square (approx. half a mile away); Court House Square (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 6, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.