Lewiston in Nez Perce County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
18th St. Bridge
was constructed in 1913 and replaced in 1951.
Early efforts for a bridge were opposed by ferryboat owners, but other business leaders recognized the need for a link to northern communities. Spanning 780 feet, its steel girders and railings were painted green and red. The wooden deck was 19 feet wide to accommodate large wagons. Automobiles and heavy trucks soon challenged the design.
Erected by Nez Perce County Historical Society, Idaho State Historical Society, Idaho Transportation Department. (Marker Number 501.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 25.476′ N, 117° 1.509′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, Idaho, in Nez Perce County. Marker is at the intersection of Highway 12 and 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on Highway 12. Touch for map. Marker is located adjacent to parking lot on the north side of US Highway 12, near the subject 18th Street Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Lewiston ID 83501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Silcott (here, next to this marker); Lewis and Clark Idaho's First Capitol (approx. half a mile away); The Early Years in Nez Perce County (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Confluence of Rivers & Steam (approx. 0.7 miles away); A Man and His Island Dream (approx. 0.7 miles away); Writings on the River (approx. 0.9 miles away); Traveling on the River (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
More about this marker. Large wooden marker in good condition
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.