Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hailey in Blaine County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Rialto Hotel

201 S. Main St.

 
 
Rialto Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
1. Rialto Hotel Marker
Inscription. In 1934, Julio Astoriquia and his wife Maria Astoriquia invested their hard-saved money to buy two lots on Main Street in Hailey for construction of a hotel. Julio emigrated from the Basque region of Spain to the United States in 1913. He worked as a sheep herder until after World War I when the sheep industry suffered heavy losses that continued through the Great Depression.
The Rialto Hotel was the first Basque-American owned business constructed on Main Street in Hailey and is significant as an example of important commercial development in Hailey during the Great Depression. Before the 1930s. Basque residents and businesses were located on Hailey's River Street, south of the "red light district; or houses of prostitution. Local building contractors and later Hailey mayor John M. ("Jack") Rutter arranged a mortgage of $11,900 with Julio Astoriquia. The mortgage covered the costs of the lots on Main Street and subsequent construction of building there. Rutter supervised the hotel's construction, which started in August and was completed on November 22, 1934. The Rialto Hotel did well enough that the Astoriquias had paid off their mortgage by 1938.
The Astoriquia family owned the Rialto Hotel until 1973. It was the longest-operated Basque boardinghouse in Blaine County. The building was used as a bar and restaurant for several
Rialto Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
2. Rialto Hotel Marker
The marker is on the corner at the left, half hidden.
more years, and was renamed the Hailey Hotel in 1980. The building is listed on the National Register of Historical Places.
 
Erected by Hailey Historic Preservation Commission.
 
Location. 43° 31.109′ N, 114° 18.885′ W. Marker is in Hailey, Idaho, in Blaine County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Main Street and Croy Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 South Main Street, Hailey ID 83333, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. J.C. Fox Building (within shouting distance of this marker); J.J. Tracy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Bullion Block Site/Werthheimer Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); W.H. Watt Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wood River Mines (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ketchum (approx. 11.6 miles away); The Lewis Ore Wagons (approx. 11.7 miles away); The Congregational Church (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hailey.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Formerly the Rialto Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
3. Formerly the Rialto Hotel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement