Near Edwards in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Architecture and Renovations
The Coker House was built in the vernacular Greek Revival architectural style used in many planters' houses and town houses in the Deep South. The floor plan features a wide center hall with two matching rooms on either side. The facade has an attached portico supported by four squared columns with Greek Revival detailing.
The kitchen and dining room was located in a single outbuilding immediately behind the house to safeguard the house from fire. It was removed in the 1960s.
In 1933 Maude Coker Thomas sold the house and property to Alfred Gervin who lived here with his family for the next thirty years. Fred Adams of Cal-Maine Foods purchased the property in 1963 and later donated the house to the Jackson Civil War Round Table, a nonprofit history and preservation organization.
Unable to raise sufficient funds for a complete restoration, the Round Table deeded the house to the State of Mississippi in 2000.
"[Nestled] in a wilderness of flowers and shrubbery and large forest
Erected by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Location. 32° 18.245′ N, 90° 33.714′ W. Marker is near Edwards, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker is on Adams Lane near State Route 467, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located just north of Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. Marker is at or near this postal address: Adams Lane, Edwards MS 39066, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Coker House and the Battle of Champion Hill (here, next to this marker); The Vicksburg Campaign (here, next to this marker); A Refugee Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicago Mercantile Battery - Artillery in the Yard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Death of General Tilghman (within shouting distance of this marker); A Narrow Escape (within Lloyd Tilghman (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Battle of Champion Hill (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edwards.
Regarding Architecture and Renovations. Located on Cotton Hill, three miles southeast of Edwards, Mississippi, the Coker House is known for its role in the Civil War. H. B. Coker, a noted citizen and planter, built the one story Greek Revival house about 1852. It is typical of the style of house occupied by wealthy people of this area in antebellum days.
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.