Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dayton in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Deeds Barn

The Original Location

 

—A Unique Structure, Moved Three Times —

 
Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 10, 2017
1. Deeds Barn Marker
Inscription. On this site, 319 Central Avenue, Charles F. Kettering invented the electric ignition and the self-starter which revolutionized the automobile industry and in 1909 led to the founding of the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (Delco). Kettering formed a partnership with NCR executive Edward A. Deeds and the barn which stood behind Deeds home became Kettering’s work- shop. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Deeds barn was saved from destruction and moved to the Kettering-Moraine Museum.
 
Erected 1989 by The Grafton Hill Association.
 
Location. 39° 46.063′ N, 84° 12.486′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Central Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 319 Central Avenue, Dayton OH 45406, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dayton Masonic Temple (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Dayton's First Electric Generating Station (approx. half a mile away); Dayton Fire Department Station No. 14 (approx. 0.7 miles away); West Side (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Newcom Tavern
Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 10, 2017
2. Deeds Barn Marker
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Birthplace of Aviation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Wheels to Wings (approx. 0.9 miles away); Steele High School (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
 
More about this marker. Marker had been removed. It has now been restored to its original location. A newer marker has been erected in the Carillon Historical Park. The barn was first moved to the Moraine Farm, at 35 Moraine Circle in 1976. The barn was later moved to Carillon Historical Park from Moraine Farm in 2009 and is housed inside The Heritage Center, an exhibition wing of the main building. A replica of the barn was also built at Dayton’s Carillon Park in 1949.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 10, 2017
3. Deeds Barn Marker
Deeds Barn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 11, 2017
4. Deeds Barn Marker
old post card
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement