Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Second Division - Eleventh Corps
—Army of the Potomac —
Eleventh Corps - Second Division
Col. Charles R. Coster
134th. 154th. New York
27th. 73d. Pennsylvania Infantry
July 1 Arrived about 2 p.m. and went into position on Cemetery Hill supporting Battery I 1st New York. Skirmishers occupying a church and near by house. Advanced about 3.30 p.m. through the town and faced to the right and intercepted the advance of Brig. Gen. Hays's and Brig. Gen Hoke's Brigades, Major Gen. Early's Divsion they moving toward town in rear of First Division Eleventh Corps and held them from the line of retreat of that Division to Cemetery Hill. Retired to East Cemetery Hill about 4.30 p.m. and resumed former position on the right of Second Brigade with Third Division on the right.
July 2 In same position during the day under fire of Artillery and sharpshooters. At 8 p.m. Brig. Gen. Hays's Brigade charged the position and was repulsed with heavy loss The 27th Penna. bore a conspicuous part in repelling this attack. Battery I 1st New York was temporarily captured but was immediately recovered.
July 3 Not actively engaged.
Erected 1912 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Location. 39° 50.108′ N, 77° 13.668′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Coster Avenue and North Stratton Street, on the right when traveling east on Coster Avenue. Touch for map. Located on an extension off Victor Street, locally named Coster Avenue in Gettysburg National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Coster Avenue Mural (here, next to this marker); 27th Pennsylvania Volunteers (a few steps from this marker); 154th New York Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 134th Regiment New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Stevens Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Office of a President Dwight D. Eisenhower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eddie Plank (1875-1926) (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Also see . . . Coster Avenue. A virtual tour stop from the National Park Service. (Submitted on September 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Text of the Informational Sign
The Coster Avenue Mural depicts the fight between the Union brigde of Col. Charles R. Coster and the Confederate brigades of Brig. Gen. Harry T. Hays and Col. Isaac E. Avery on the afternoon of July 1, 1863. Coster's three small regiments (the 134th New York, 154th New York, and 27th Pennsylvania) were rushed to this position from Cemetery Hill to cover the retreat of the Eleventh Corps. They took position behind fences in John Kuhn's brickyard, and were immediately attacked by Hays's (the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Louisiana.) and Avery's (the 6th, 21st, and 57th
The Coster Avenue Mural was conceived, researched, designed, and funded by author and artist mark H. Dunkelman (pictured top left), historian of the 154th New York. The final mural was painted by Rhode Island artist Johan Bjurman (top right), who also supervised its construction and installation, and Dunkelman. The mural was dedicated on July 1, 1988, the 125th anniversary of the battle it portrays, in honor of the memory of the men Coster, Hays, and Avery.
After more than a decade of exposure to the elements, the mural was in deed of restoration. Financing the work was generously provided by the "Bearss Brigade" and other friends of the painting. The "Bearss Brigade" consists of friends and followers of Edwin C.
For more information about the mural and its historical background consult the 1989 booklet The Coster Avenue Mural in Gettysburg by Mark H. Dunkelman, on sale at the Gettysburg National Military Park Bookstore. Booklet proceeds go to the mural's upkeep.
— Submitted September 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,321 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 8. submitted on July 18, 2012.