Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
London Borough of Camden in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
 

The White Conduit

 
 
The White Conduit Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 12, 2017
1. The White Conduit Marker
Inscription.
In the rear is
The White Conduit
(circa 1300.A.D)
Originally part of the water supply
to the Greyfriars Monastery
Newgate Street

 
Location. 51° 31.313′ N, 0° 7.074′ W. Marker is in London Borough of Camden, England, in Greater London County. Marker is on Rugby Street just east of Lamb's Conduit Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 Rugby Street, London Borough of Camden, England WC1N 3QT, United Kingdom.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Howard (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Vera Brittain and Winifred Holtby (about 180 meters away); Sydney Smith (about 210 meters away); Benjamin Disraeli (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Horizon Magazine (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Charlotte Mew (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Queens Larder (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Sir James Matthew Barrie (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in London Borough of Camden.
 
Regarding The White Conduit. The distance from the marker to Greyfriars is about 1 km., more or less. The area in which the marker is located was situated outside the City walls, and was undeveloped
The White Conduit Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 12, 2017
2. The White Conduit Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible here, mounted to the shopfront, directly below the "MAG" on the Maggie Owen Jewelry shop.
until the 1700's. The correspondent for the "London Remembers" website inquired within the shop as to what can now actually be seen (per the marker), and was told that only the wellhead remained, beneath the floorboards of the shop.
 
Categories. Man-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement