Mansura in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Site of first Catholic school in Avoyelles Parish - 1855. Founded by Daughters of the Cross of Treguier, France, under Mother Mary Hyacinth Le Conniat on request of Bishop Martin. Battle of Mansura, May 16, 1864, began on Convent grounds.
Erected 1972 by The Louisiana Tourist Development Commission.
Location. 31° 6.352′ N, 92° 3.78′ W. Marker is in Mansura, Louisiana, in Avoyelles Parish. Marker is on Tunica Drive East (State Highway 1/107) south of Airport Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6860 LA-1, Mansura LA 71350, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tunica-Biloxi Indian Reservation (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Marksville Site (approx. 0.6 miles away); Marc Eliche (approx. 0.6 miles away); Holy Ghost Catholic Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Presentation Convent Chapel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Watts-Dupuy-Scallan Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Joseph Catholic Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Gardiner-Laborde Home (approx. 1.3 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2017.