The National Mall in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Common Language
Kathrine Dulin Folger Rose Garden
Plant nomenclature is the naming of plants using the binomial (meaning "two names") system. The Swedish botanist Carl Linnaeus introduced this method in 1753. Binomial nomenclature uses Latin to communicate scientific information on a global scale.
• Genus (plural: genera): A grouping of closely related species.
• Specific epithet: Differentiates individuals within a genus.
Genus + specific epithet (the botanical or scientific name of the plant) = Species*
*Species: A group of organisms in which two individuals are capable of producing fertile offspring.
• Cultivar: A plant selection that varies enough from its parents to warrant cultivation based on its own merits.
• Common Name: A plant's nickname. Many plants have more than one depending on the region in which they grow.
• Family: A group of plants that share observable characteristics, chemistry, and genetic makeup.
• Native Range of Species: The region where the plant species is considered indigenous.
• Cultivar: This name can vary depending on the language and the market where the rose is being sold.
• Rose Class:
• Introduction Year: The year the rose was introduced to the commercial market.
• International Cultivar Registration Authority for Roses (ICRAR) code: A unique identifier assigned to each rose. The first part, usually in CAPS, denotes a particular rose breeder. While a rose's cultivar name may vary, its ICRAR code always remains the same.
Erected by Smithsonian Gardens.
Location. 38° 53.319′ N, 77° 1.459′ W. Marker is in The National Mall, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Jefferson Drive Southwest 0.1 miles west of 7th Street SW, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arts and Industries Building (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Arts and Industries Building (was a few steps from this marker but has been reported missing. ); The Modern Rose (within shouting distance of this marker); An Apple is a Rose (within shouting distance of this marker); Large Acanthus Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Carousel on the Mall, Washington, D.C. (within shouting distance of this marker); Neptune (within shouting distance of this marker); Before the National Air and Space Museum opened... (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in The National Mall.
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2017, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 32 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2017, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.