Near Millhaven in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A rick dam was constructed across the creek, of which it is said that the 400 horse power developed for the feed and saw mills was by far the greatest in the colony. The rock foundations of the old dam are still embedded in the creek about 300 yards above the present bridge.
Paris sold the land, mills, and appurtenances to Seaborn Jones, of Augusta, on February 8th, 1796.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 56.015′ N, 81° 39.002′ W. Marker is near Millhaven, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Millhaven Road and Gin House Road, on the right when traveling south on Millhaven Road. Touch for map. On the east side of the bridge over Brier Creek. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. British Army Crossing (here, next to this marker); Old Quaker Road 1827 Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Brick (Bethel) Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Sardis Baptist Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Jacksonboro (approx. 7½ miles away); John Abbot (approx. 7½ miles away); Washington's Route (approx. 7½ miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 869 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on September 4, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on September 4, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on September 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.