First Kennebec Bridge / Le premier pont du Kennebec
The Museum in the Streets
For over 200 years, this site has anchored a span over the Kennebec River. Construction of the first bridge began in May 1797 by the Proprietors of the Kennebec Bridge, which owned and subsequently operated the bridge. Completed on November 21, 1797, at a cost of $27,000, the uncovered toll bridge featured two spans supported by rounded arches, a center pier, and abutments constructed of stone. Its completion gave Augusta the distinction of having the first span over the Kennebec River, as well as having the largest bridge in the District of Maine. The bridge served the community well, but exposure to the elements caused decay, and on Sunday, June 23, 1816, the eastern span collapsed into the river. The remains were removed by early 1818 to make way for a new covered bridge.
Pendant plus de 200 ans, ce site servit de point d'ancrage pour un pont sur le fleuve Kennebec. Les Propriétaires du Pont Kennebec commencèrent [sic] la construction du premier pont en mai 1797. Ce pont leur appartenait et ils en avaient la gestion. Terminé le 21 novembre 1797 pour la somme de 27 000$, ce pont découvert à péage possédait deux travées soutenues par des arches arrondies, une pile centrale, et des butées en pierre. Lorsqu'il fut terminé, Augusta eut le privilège de posséder le premier pont sur le Kennebec et le plus grand pont
[Image captions read]
• Kennebec Bridge, 1797
• Stock certificates were sold to finance the first bridge.
Erected by Augusta Historic Preservation Commission, Kennebec Savings Bank, and the Maine Community Foundation. (Marker Number 10.)
Location. 44° 18.992′ N, 69° 46.277′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Maine, in Kennebec County. Marker is at the intersection of Cony Street and the east side of the Kennebec River Bridge, on the left when traveling west on Cony Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta ME 04330, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Fort Western / Le vieux Fort Western (here, next to this marker); Birds and Fish of the Kennebec (a few steps from this marker); Sousa the nonpariel / L'incomparable Souza (within shouting distance of this marker); Gunshots Reverberate on the Kennebec / Des coups de fusil résonnent sur le fleuve Kennebec (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Comfort Magazine / Le Magazine Comfort (about 300 feet away); Cushnoc Trading Post / Le Comptoir Commercial De Cushnoc (about 400 feet away); 1775 Quebec Expedition (about 400 feet away); Cushnoc Trading Post (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . The Museum in the Streets Tour Map, Augusta, Maine. (Submitted on November 29, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.