Karnack in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Home Town of Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson
(Wife of 36th President of the United States)
On November 17, 1934, she married Lyndon Baines Johnson, congressional staff member who became head of National Youth Administration in Texas in 1935.
The Johnsons are parents of two daughters, Lynda Bird and Luci Baines.
During her husbandís rise to world leadership—as United States Congressman, Senator, Senate Majority Leader, Vice President, and President—Mrs. Johnson added to role of wife and mother that of hostess to many of the greatest statesmen of the world.
As First Lady of the United States, she is true to her east Texas heritage of love for gardens, trees, unspoiled natural scenery, and historic sites. She sponsors vital national programs of conservation, beautification, and historical preservation.
Location. 32° 40.012′ N, 94° 10.219′ W. Marker is in Karnack, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of T J Taylor Avenue (State Highway 449) and Kay Street, on the right when traveling north on T J Taylor Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located at south end of triangular plaza bounded by T J Taylor Ave, Kay St and FM 134. T J Taylor Ave is named after Lady Bird Johnson's father, Thomas Jefferson Taylor. Marker is in this post office area: Karnack TX 75661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Town of Port Caddo (approx. one mile away); Jefferson (approx. 11.3 miles away); Trammel's Trace (approx. 11.4 miles away); Marion County Depression Era Roadside Park (approx. 11.4 miles away); Marion County (approx. 11.9 miles away); Early Jefferson Lodge Building (approx. 11.9 miles away); Texas Statesman Charles Allen Culberson (approx. 11.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Karnack.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Lady Bird Johnson.
The town of Karnack, Texas lies 15 miles from the Louisiana border, nestled among the lakes, bayous and cotton fields of East Texas. The town of 400 people is lorded over by a giant mansion a mile outside of downtown, known locally as the “The Brick House.” It is there in 1912 that Claudia Alta Taylor entered the world. (Submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Lady Bird Johnsonís spooky childhood home.
For todayís “Spooky Place in Texas,” weíre traveling to the small East Texas town of Karnack and Lady Bird Johnsonís family home. In 1843, Milt Andrews built the plantation-style mansion two-and-a-half miles southwest of Karnak. There, he raised his daughter, Eunice, or “Oonie,” as she was called. In 1880, when Oonie was 19, a bolt of lightning struck the chimney, raced down the fireplace and killed her. The grief-stricken Andrews family sold the home to T.J. Taylor, the father of Lady Bird. Apparently, the ghost of Oonie Andrews went along with the sale. (Submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Lady Bird Johnson's Father.
Thomas Jefferson Taylor II; born 29 August, 1874, Autauga County, Alabama; General store owner; cotton planter; land owner; died 22 October, 1960, Marshall, Texas; turning his store profits into real estate, he owned some twelve thousand acres of cotton, perhaps the largest landowner in Harrison County, Texas; he donated nearly 400 acres of property, some two-thirds of his total, to the state and it became Caddo Lake State Park; (Submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • Politics • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.