Karnack in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant
In 1956, Thiokol Chemical Corporation began manufacturing solid fuel rocket motors here. This highly guarded and classified site grew in a series of five expansions. In 1964, its name changed to The Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant and employment rose to a high of nearly 3,000 personnel. The numbers declined with the end of the Vietnam War and the easing of tensions with the Soviet Union, and employment dropped to less than 1,000 by 1975.
In 1987, The United States and the Soviet Union signed the Treaty of Intermediate Nuclear Forces, beginning the elimination of an entire class of missiles. In 1988, the first destruction on American soil of U.S. Pershing I and II rocket motors occurred at the site. Observed by Soviet and U.S. officials, the demolition project continued until 1991. Following official deactivation
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15018.)
Location. 32° 40.054′ N, 94° 10.049′ W. Marker is in Karnack, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of Kelly Avenue and Zeugner Drive, on the right when traveling south on Kelly Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located just inside the entrance to Caddo Lake National Wildlife Refuge. Marker is in this post office area: Karnack TX 75661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home Town of Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Town of Port Caddo (approx. one mile away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 11.3 miles away); Harrison County (approx. 11.3 miles away); Jefferson (approx. 11.4 miles away); Trammel's Trace (approx. 11½ miles away); Marion County Depression Era Roadside Park (approx. 11½ miles away); Jefferson Turn Basin (approx. 11.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Karnack.
More about this marker. The former Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant described by this marker is now the Caddo
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. History of the Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant.
A young Congressman named Lyndon Baines Johnson (LBJ), who hailed from the Hill Country of Central Texas and had already established himself with President Franklin Roosevelt and House Speaker Sam Rayburn as an up-and-coming legislator, saw the opportunity to persuade the Army to build one of the new ammunition plants in an isolated, rural area adjacent to his wife Lady Bird’s home town of Karnack, Texas. (Submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant.
The Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant, also called the Longhorn Ordnance Works, is a facility for the production of munitions located on a 8,500-acre site beside Caddo Lake at Karnack, Harrison County. The Monsanto Chemical Company selected the site for a facility for the manufacture of TNT, and the company began operation of the $22.5 million plant on October 18, 1942. By August 15, 1945, the plant had turned out 414,805,500 pounds of TNT. (Submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant.
The facility operated from 1942 to 1997, historically manufacturing TNT and rocket motors. Site (Submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Peace • War, Cold • War, Korean • War, Vietnam • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 30, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.