Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
An important Confederate stronghold during the Civil War, Marshall was home to the wartime capital of Missouri and the Postal Headquarters of the Southís Trans-Mississippi Department. Following the war, it was the site of an office of the Freedmenís Bureau.
After the Texas and Pacific Railway located its Division Point, shops, and offices here in the 1870ís, Marshall became a major regional marketing and educational center. Colleges located here included Marshall University, Marshall Masonic Female Institute, Wiley College, Bishop College, and East Texas Baptist College (later East Texas Baptist University).
Erected 1964 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10188.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located the west side of the Harrison County Historical Museum (former Harrison County Courthouse). Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 West Houston Street, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrison County (here, next to this marker); James Harper Starr (a few steps from this marker); General Elkanah Greer / Knights of the Golden Circle (a few steps from this marker); Governor Edward Clark (a few steps from this marker); Telegraph Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of The Capitol Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Also see . . .
1. Marshall, Texas.
At the time Harrison County was created in 1839, its county seat was located at Greensborough on the Sabine River. Marshall was established in early 1841 to serve as the seat of justice for Panola Judicial District. Two years later, as a result of a Supreme Court decision that invalidated (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. City of Marshall History.
By 1850, Marshall was the fourth largest city in Texas. Marshall played a major role in the Civil War providing munitions and manufactured goods for the Confederacy. Marshall became the Capitol of the Confederacy west of the Mississippi River after the fall of Vicksburg. Marshall also served as the site of the Confederate Government in exile for the State of Missouri from 1863 to 1865. In 1871, Jay Gould established the Texas and Pacific railroad in the area and located its shops in Marshall. From that time until the decline of the railroad industry after World War II, the Texas and Pacific railroad was the largest employer in Marshall and Harrison County. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. History of Marshall, Texas.
County commissioners were initially concerned that the water in the area would not be good—the reason from moving the county seat from sites on the Sabine River like Pulaski was that they had poor water, were prone to disease, and flooding. Whetstone is alleged to have convinced (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. Marshall Civil War History.
Marshall served many purposes during the war. It was a major center of politics, military operations and supplier of necessities, especially gun powder. The town's Confederate backing, as well as its location on the map, allowed it to serve as a power center west of the Mississippi, ideal for Confederate conferences. At one point, Marshall was the temporary capital of the Missouri Confederate Government that had been forced into exile. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5, 6. submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.