Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The first telegraph office in the State of Texas
was established at this location on
February 14, 1854.
The Texas and Red River Telegraph Company
merged several times finally becoming
Western Union Telegraph Company.
The Telegram was the chief method
of communication in the late
19th century and early 20th century.
Serving all facets of life, business,
personal and military, the telegram was
the answer to every communication need,
and its popularity soared.
Messenger boys were an important part of the
telegraph system. Boys as young as 10 years of age
would ride bicycles to deliver their telegrams.
The boys were trained to be
courteous, friendly and fast.
Telegraph Park is dedicated to the memory of
Mildred Cornelius Carlile
by her sons, her daughters-in-law,
her grandchildren and her great-grandchildren.
Mildred was active in beautification efforts in Marshall and was also a talented artist. Along with her husband, Quinton B. Carlile, Mildred was a major contributor to the renovation of the Harrison County Courthouse, to the founding of the Michelson Museum of Art and to the annual Wonderland
Location. 32° 32.73′ N, 94° 22.029′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of East Houston Street and North Washington Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East Houston Street. Touch for map. Marker is located near southwest corner of Telegraph Park. The park lies along the east side of North Washington Avenue, between East Houston Street and East Austin Street. Marker is in this post office area: Cushing TX 75760, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrison County (within shouting distance of this marker); Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Edward Clark (within shouting distance of this marker); James Harper Starr (within shouting distance of this marker); General Elkanah Greer / Knights of the Golden Circle (within shouting distance Site of The Capitol Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Also see . . .
1. Telegraph Service in Texas.
In 1838 the Republic of Texas failed to accept an offer from Samuel F. B. Morse to give his new invention to that new nation. Morse, receiving no reply to his offer, withdrew it in a letter to Governor Sam Houston in 1860. His model instrument is kept in the State Archives Building at Austin. The use of the telegraph for communication in Texas, which preceded the railroads and telephone as a national network, began with the chartering of the Texas and Red River Telegraph Company on January 5, 1854. The first telegraph office was opened by the company in Marshall on February 14, 1854. Patrons were offered connections with New Orleans via Shreveport and with Alexandria, Louisiana, and Natchez, Mississippi. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. First Telegraph Company in Texas Chartered.
Wires were strung from treetop to treetop, and in many instances telegraph operators closed the offices and rode along the lines to make repairs when the wind swaying the trees caused breaks in the wires. By 1870 there was an estimated 1,500 miles of telegraph wire in Texas. Expansion was rapid up to 1890 as the transcontinental railroads completed lines across the state. By 1943 the Western Union Telegraph Company, which had begun operating in Texas in 1866, was the only telegraph company still operating in the state. The company closed the Marshall telegraph office–the oldest in the state–in 1972. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Morse's Telegraph - A Gift Refused.
Most often recognized for his contribution to the communications industry, Samuel Morse was also an artist and photographer. He founded the National Academy of Design, and was its first president. But he turned to inventing to make his fortune. Morse had little formal training in electricity, but realized that pulses of electrical current could convey information over wires. By 1835 he probably had his first telegraph model working in the New York University building where he taught art. Morse used in his model such crude materials as an old artist's canvas stretcher to hold it, a home-made battery and an old clock-work to move the paper on which dots and dashes were to be recorded. He applied for a patent in 1837. In 1838, the Republic of Texas failed to accept an offer from Morse to give his most famous invention to that new nation. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Communications • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.