Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Here is the dwelling
where our sick and wounded
soldiers found shelter,
food, clothing and sympathy.
The soldiers rest was
established and supported by
the ladies confederate
Erected 1933 by United Daughters of the Confederacy Greenville, South Carolina.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 51.355′ N, 82° 24.115′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is on College Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenville Woman's College (within shouting distance of this marker); The Buncombe Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Textile Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); St Mary's Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away); SC Ordinance of Secession (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Armory (approx. 0.3 In Memory of 81st Wildcat Division / Camp Sevier (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Robert E. Lee (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kershaw Brigade (approx. 0.3 miles away); Max Heller Legacy Plaza (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
1. Soldier's Rest and Heritage Green
Soldier's Rest refers to a building, once used as a boy's academy, operated by the Greenville Female College during and after the Civil War. The marker shown is the approximate location of the building.
The land on which the marker sits is known as Heritage Green. It is home to the Greenville Little Theatre, the Children's Museum, the Greenville County Library, the Greenville County art Museum, and the Upstate History Museum. The land was originally donated by Vardry McBee to the old boys and girls academies with the stipulation that the land always be used for educational and cultural purposes.
— Submitted September 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
The women of Greenville established the Ladies' Aid Association of Greenville on July 19, 1861. The group's initial efforts in 1862 provided a wayside table at the railroad station for the aid and relief of passing soldiers. In the fall of 1862, the Association established a "Soldier's Rest" for upstate soldiers who were then stationed on the coast and who had become sick or wounded. The home was on College Street near Buncombe Street. This was probably the hospital that Jane C. Brunson referred to in a sketch prepared for South Carolina Women In The Confederacy in 1899. She said of Greenville's first Confederate hospital, "To that building all sick and wounded soldiers were carried and personally attended by the ladies of the Soldiers' Relief Association and the kind physicians of the town. Nice, clean beds and good food were provided, and servants to assist in caring for them. Quilts were made and kept for the use of the hospital. Committees of ladies relieved each other. Housekeepers were notified when their turn came to provide meals. Good milk, and any delicacy a soldier fancied, was provided, if possible." Later, when the Confederate government established a hospital at the Marion House in Greenville, these same women helped care for the soldiers there. The Greenville Chapter, U.D.C., erected this marker in 1933. It is a bronze tablet embedded
— Submitted March 24, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,339 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on September 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 12, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on March 24, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.