East Palestine in Columbiana County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Log House Museum
This circa 1840s log house, which now serves as a museum and home to the East Palestine Historical Society, was originally located at the corner of West Main and Walnut Streets. Some of its most notable and earliest residents were Dr. Robert Chamberlin (1798-1876), the town’s first resident physician, and his wife Rebecca (1810-1895). Chamberlin practiced medicine for 30 years, serving the town as a township trustee in 1834, the first postmaster in 1836, and township clerk in 1839.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Chamberlain was also a surveyor for the county as well as for the Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad, helping to lay out the line from the Ohio River to Salem. The last residents of the home, John and Mary Bozick, lived there from 1927 to 1978, 51 years. In 1978, the Bozick family donated the house to the local historical society. The structure was moved to 555 Bacon Avenue, on city park property, and opened to the public as the town’s first museum.
Erected 2017 by East Palestine Area Historical Society, The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 20-15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 49.971′ N, 80° 32.975′ W. Marker is in East Palestine, Ohio, in Columbiana County. Marker is on Bacon Avenue (Ohio Route 46) 0.2 miles west of Everett Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Home of the East Palestine Historical Society. Marker is in this post office area: East Palestine OH 44413, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Foulks Home (approx. 4 miles away in Pennsylvania); Elder's Mills (approx. 4.1 miles away in Pennsylvania); Foulks-Martin-Watts Mill and Bridge (approx. 4.1 miles away in Pennsylvania); Cannelton (approx. 4˝ miles away in Pennsylvania); The White Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away in Pennsylvania); Enon Valley (approx. 5 miles away in Pennsylvania); Buttonwood (approx. 5.3 miles away in Pennsylvania); South Beaver Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 6˝ miles away in Pennsylvania).
Also see . . . East Palestine Historical Society. (Submitted on December 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 8, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.