Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
Several black families were residing in Gillespie County by the 1870s. A schoolhouse was built in 1877 on property adjacent to this later church site. Blacks probably met in the school for worship services before this church was completed 10 years later. In 1887 Oscar Basse deeded this lot to William McLane, Silas Russel, James Scruggins, and James Tinker as trustees of the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. Members of the congregation erected this simple frame structure, with its small steeple, atop a native limestone foundation.
In recent years, when the local black community dispersed, use of the church building decreased and deterioration set in. Cora Phillips, widow of Paul Phillips, well-known Gillespie County veterinarian and church trustee, suggested restoring the structure for use by Youth Organizations United in 1974. The youth, representing half a dozen faiths, carried out repair and renovation work and gained national recognition for their endeavors. Dr. Robert Mosby, son of the black congregation's third pastor, the Rev. William H. Mosby, preached at ceremonies in February 1976, when the restored building was dedicated as the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10019.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 East Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kloth-Ludwig Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walch Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Nimitz Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Mueller-Petmecky House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Main Mast from Destroyer USS Foote (DD-511) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fairwater of USS Pintado (SS-387) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early History of Fredericksburg, Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . . Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.
The Christian Methodist Episcopal (C.M.E.) Church is a historically black denomination within the broader context of Methodism. It's also occasionally considered to be a mainline denomination. The group was organized on December 16, 1870 in Jackson, Tennessee, when several black ministers, with the full support of their white sponsors in the former Methodist Episcopal Church, South, met to form an organization that would allow them to (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.