Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The original portion of this house probably was built between 1848 and 1850 by Willis Wallace, who was granted the land by the German Immigration Company. Of fachwerk construction, the two-room home later was acquired by German farmer Heinrich Mueller, Jr. Mueller's daughter Augusta and son-in-law A. W. Petmecky, who served as justice of the peace for 42 years, built the limestone addition after the birth of their second child in 1895.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10083.)
Location. 30° 16.178′ N, 98° 52.135′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on South Washington Street (U.S. 87) 0.1 miles north of Augusta Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Mounted directly on right side of front door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 South Washington Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nimitz Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kloth-Ludwig Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN Main Mast from Destroyer USS Foote (DD-511) (approx. ¼ mile away); Fairwater of USS Pintado (SS-387) (approx. ¼ mile away); Walch Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Domino Parlor (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Schandua Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . .
1. Mueller-Petmecky House Photograph.
Old photograph of Mueller-Petmecky house, date unknown (but after the 1895 addition) (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. History of the term "Fachwerk".
This juxtaposition of exposed timbered beams and infilled spaces created the distinctive "half-timbered", or occasionally termed, "Tudor" style, or "black-and-white". The term half-timbering is not as old as the German name Fachwerk or the French name colombage, but it is the standard English name for this style. (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.