Leakey in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Originally known as the Floral Cemetery and serving an earlier community by that name, this cemetery dates to at least 1881. Land for the graveyard was sold by John and Nancy Leakey for one dollar and a cemetery plot.
The oldest documented burials here are those of Sara Catherine McLaurin (b. 1849) and fifteen-year-old Allen Lease, who were killed on April 19, 1881, in the last Indian raid in the Frio Canyon area. The next interment was that of Civil War Veteran John Colter Brice, who died April 30, 1881.
The only public cemetery in the Leakey vicinity, this graveyard contains the burials of many of the area's early settlers. Gravestones attest to the hardships of life in the 19th and early 20th centuries and the epidemics of measles, typhoid fever, diphtheria, and influenza which claimed many lives.
There are over 900 documented burials here, as well as a number of unmarked graves. Those interred in the Leakey Cemetery include pioneers, children, elected officials of Real and Edwards counties, community leaders and veterans. The founder of the town, John Leakey, and his wife Nancy are both buried here.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3057.)
Location. 29° 43.44′ Touch for map. Marker is just inside the cemetery fence, at a pull-out on the south side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Leakey TX 78873, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Real County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Real County (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Real County (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Leakey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of McLaurin Massacre (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Leakey Cemetery.
It is perhaps a little ironic that the first interments in the cemetery were the last to be killed by Indians (in Real County). These were victims of Lipan Apaches and their story is explained by the marker near their graves. They are on the right hand side of the cemetery (west) toward the SW corner. (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Leakey-Floral Cemetery.
This burial ground was fenced, and eventually became known as the Floral Cemetery. In 1882 the land was deeded to the Floral Cemetery Company for $1.00 cash and a burial plot (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.