Carrizo Springs in Dimmit County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Among the earliest settlers in the area later named Dimmit County, the Burleson family settled near Carrizo Springs between 1865 and 1870. James A. (1869-1895), Joseph E. (1870-1895), and Samuel (1877-1895) Burleson died suddenly, probably of food poisoning. The following July, Marion M. Burleson (1853-1895) succumbed to heat stroke and was buried on family land with his brothers and a Burleson child. As time passed, the graves on this site became a mystery. Investigations at the end of the twentieth century by the Texas Department of Transportation found it to be the final resting place of the Burleson family.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11849.)
Location. 28° 34.416′ N, 99° 54.512′ W. Marker is in Carrizo Springs, Texas, in Dimmit County. Marker is on U.S. 277 0.3 miles north of Williams Road (County Highway 101), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located near a pull-out, on east side of highway. There is a small plaza here marking the Burleson family graves. Cemetery is adjacent to a small RV community (on south side). Marker is in this post office area: Carrizo Springs TX 78834, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 10 miles of this Dimmit County Courthouse (approx. 4.6 miles away); Zavala County (approx. 8.9 miles away); Crystal City Family Internment Camp, World War II (approx. 9.6 miles away); Confinement Site - History of Crystal City Family Internment Camp (approx. 9.6 miles away); World War II Concentration Camp (approx. 9.6 miles away); World War II Enemy Alien Internment (approx. 9.6 miles away); Living and Working in an Internment Camp (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Burleson Cemetery.
Although none of the 5 family members had etched stones of any kind marking their places, a large square of multi-tone stone pavers (similar to those used for some driveways and sidewalks) was placed over the 5 graves. Each grave has a reddish-terra cotta cross insignia above it. Adjacent to the graves, a state historical marker was placed in 1997 as a way of remembering and honoring these members of a local pioneer family. (Submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.