Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Historic Oregon Trail.
In the years 1863-64 at this site a settlement composed of 3 buildings called Middleton, the first county and circuit court sessions were held in Swift and Martins store. Discovery of gold in the Blue Mts. area boomed Umatilla Landing on the Columbia River, and the county seat was moved there. In 1868 the county seat was relocated in Pendleton.
Erected by Oregon Department of Transportation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oregon Trail marker series.
Location. 45° 40.454′ N, 118° 49.674′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is on Westgate (Northwest Pendleton Highway) (U.S. 30) near County Route 1302, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3800 Westgate, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pendleton City Hall (approx. 1.8 miles away); First Christian Church Carnegie Building (approx. 1.9 miles away); Brown Building (approx. 1.9 miles away); Milarkey-Murphy Bldg (approx. 1.9 miles away); Bowman Studio (approx. 1.9 miles away); Donald C. Requa (approx. 1.9 miles away); U.S. Post Office & Courthouse (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
Categories. • Government • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.