Near Pollock in Campbell County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Old Pollock/Lot Distribution in New Pollock/Lake Pocasse
In 1901 Pollock was founded as the end point of the Soo Line rail service from Wishek, ND. Soo Line officials requested the town be named Pollock in honor of R.Y. Pollock, a pioneer lay minister and respected citizen of the area.
With passage of the Flood Control Act of 1944, citizens of Pollock realized the construction of Oahe Dam would inundate their town of less than 500 people. Relocating the community was decided by unanimous vote at a Jan. 27, 1953 public meeting. A vote was then taken to determine which direction the town should move from its soon to be flooded location. The vote was west-2, north-20, east-39, and south-139. The Flood Association's recommendation was to move the town south and in the next round of voting, 167 voted for the southern location. A unanimous vote was then cast for the southern site for new Pollock.
Chronicling the move and instrumental in bolstering public support through his local newspaper, E.L. MacKay reported that In 1956 the Corps of Engineers agreed to make the north crossing into a dam thereby creating a small lake that would not fluctuate with the rise and fall of Lake Oahe. This dam created Lake Pocasse under which the old town site of Pollock now rests. By the spring of 1962, the people of Pollock were completely moved, the old
Lot Distribution in New Pollock
Community leaders, John B. Pollock, I.H. Dornbush, H.C. Hanning, Horton DeVan, Martin Schaeffer, Sam Borr, and Robert Pollock formed the nonprofit Pollock Development Corporation to acquire the site one mile south of old Pollock and subdivided the land.
After much discussion, the committee settled on a method for distributing both residential and business lots in the new Townsite. The entire community studied the plat of the new town, looked over the land itself, consulted their relatives and friends, and selected their choice of a lot. They sealed the lot number of their choice in an envelope and placed them in a box. On May 26, 1955, envelopes were drawn, one by one, and names posted on the appropriate lots on a map of the new town. There appeared to be no duplicate choices, and in the end there were only a few cases where two people had drawn the same lot. Ties were settled by the toss of a coin. A period of trading followed among those who wished to have different neighbors.
A contest was held to name the new lake. In August of 1961 Wilmer Kirschenmann submitted the name of Pocasse, an Arikara Indian chief whom Lewis
Erected by John Pollock Family, South Dakota State Historical Society, and Department of Transportation.
Location. 45° 54.76′ N, 100° 17.77′ W. Marker is near Pollock, South Dakota, in Campbell County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 1804 and 294th Ave, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 1804. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pollock SD 57648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis and Clark and the Legend of Stone Idol Creek/Lewis and Clark Expedition Meet The Arikara (here, next to this marker); Pollock, South Dakota Settlers Plaque/National Bicentennial Wagon Train (approx. one mile away); Lewis and Clark/Pollock, South Dakota (approx. one mile away); Flint Store and Post Office (approx. 2 miles away).
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 31, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.