Pollock in Campbell County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Pollock, South Dakota Settlers Plaque/National Bicentennial Wagon Train
The first settlers came to this area
about 1880. LaGrace, 9 miles
southwest, was the first town and
the County seat until 1888, when
It gradually disappeared.
The town of Pollock was founded
In 1901 at the end of the
Soo Line Railroad, named after
R.Y. Pollock, an early settler,
Community leader and lay preacher.
The town was to be flooded
by the Oahe Reservoir
and in 1955 ground was broken
for the present town and its two
churches, Presbyterian and Lutheran.
The old town site, one mile north
of this point, is now covered by
National Bicentennial Wagon Train
The South Dakota
covered wagon in the
Wagon train to
Valley Forge, Pa.,
made its official start
in Pollock on
October 7, 1975,
accompanied by the
North Dakota wagon
Location. 45° 54.006′ N, 100° 17.25′ W. Marker is in Pollock, South Dakota, in Campbell County. Marker is at the intersection of B Avenue (State Highway 1804) and Park Street, on the right when traveling north on B Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pollock SD 57648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis and Clark/Pollock, South Dakota (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lewis and Clark and the Legend of Stone Idol Creek/Lewis and Clark Expedition Meet The Arikara (approx. one mile away); Old Pollock/Lot Distribution in New Pollock/Lake Pocasse (approx. one mile away); Flint Store and Post Office (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 31, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.