Glover Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Holy Rood Cemetery
Originally known as the Upper Graveyard, Holy Rood Cemetery was established by Holy Trinity Catholic Church in 1832. In 1853, the cemetery was expanded, and in the years following the Civil War improvements were made. A house was added for the sexton, along with a vault, a new gate, a stone retaining wall, and an entrance along High Street, now Wisconsin Avenue. In 1866, the cemetery's name was changed to Holy Rood, taken from the Scottish haly ruid meaning Holy Cross. The cemetery was active until the end of the 20th century and contains approximately 7,000 graves. It is the oldest burial ground of free and enslaved Africans in the city. Of historic interest is the grave of Joseph Neitt (1753-1834), a veteran of the American Revolutionary War. His plot is located along the fence at the western edge of the cemetery. Georgetown University currently owns Holy Rood Cemetery.
Open 8 a.m. to dusk
Erected by Georgetown University.
Location. 38° 55.103′ N, 77° 4.206′ W. Marker is in Glover Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Wisconsin Avenue Northwest north of 35th Street NW, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2128 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Georgetown Departed (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedication to the Dedicated (about 700 feet away); Introduction to Burleith (about 700 feet away); "Mapping Art On Call" (about 800 feet away); "Tunlaw Road" (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Rolling Tobacco Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Famous Burleith Residents (approx. ¼ mile away); The Origins of Burleith (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glover Park.
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on January 1, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on January 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.