Lockeford in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Pioneer Hill / Lockeford
Erected 1936 by Stockton Parlor No. 256, Native Daughters of the Golden West (July 18, 1936).
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 10.081′ N, 121° 9.44′ W. Marker is in Lockeford, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker is on Elliott Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lockeford CA 95237, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Harmony Grove Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lone Star Mill (approx. 4.3 miles away); Athearn School Bell (approx. 4.4 miles away); Hale Park (approx. 6½ miles away); City Hall, Fire House and Jail (approx. 6½ miles away); Lodi Mission Arch (approx. 6.7 miles away); Lodi Arch (approx. 6.7 miles away); Old Lodi (Mokelumne Station) (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Regarding Pioneer Hill / Lockeford. This site was designate a California Registered Historical Landmark (No. 365) under the heading of "Lockeford (Locke's Ford)" on October 9, 1939.
Also See: Camp Site of Boston-Newton Party marker, Shingle Springs, Ca.
1. From the Burlington, Mass. Historical Commission:
The Clapp family moved to California during the mid-1870s. The Clapp family settled in the Central Valley town of Manteca in San Joaquin County, south of Sacramento, Ca. The two youngest daughters, Lucinda and Mary Eleanor, married into New England families transplanted to California. Lucinda married Nathaniel Howard Locke (b. 1859), who was born in the nearby town of Lockeford, California. Nathaniel’s parents, Dr. Dean Jewett Locke (1823-1887) and Delia Marcella Hammond Locke
— Submitted September 23, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,455 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 3. submitted on December 8, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.