Cleveland Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Story of Rosedale
From Colonial Farm to Village Green
The Rosedale farmhouse is said to be the oldest house surviving in Washington, DC. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
The farmhouse is a private home.
Please do not enter farmhouse grounds.
An unknown Maryland colonist built a stone cottage on Pretty Prospects, a vast area that included today's Wisconsin Avenue, Melvin Hazen Park, Pierce Mill, the National Zoo, and upper Georgetown.
General Uriah Forrest, a Revolutionary War hero and colleague of George Washington, purchased 420 acres of Pretty Prospects to move his family from the sweltering port of Georgetown to the green hills above the new federal city. He named his property Rosedale and built a gracious farmhouse, attaching it to the original stone cottage. There, Uriah and his wife Rebecca entertained the nation's leaders, among them John Adams.
Debt and misfortune nearly took Rosedale from the Forrests and their descendants. Gradually, all but 8.6 acres were sold, including the land to develop Cleveland Park in the 1890s. When Rosedale finally changed hands after 124 years, the house and grounds were a wreck.
Avery and Queene Coonley rescued Rosedale when they moved from Chicago with their 15-year-old daughter Elizabeth.
Avery Coonley died in 1920. Queene Coonley kept Rosedale beautiful for 41 years. She left the property to Elizabeth, married to architect Waldron Faulkner.
1959-2002 Youth for Understanding USA
The Faulkners sold Rosedale to the National Cathedral to build dormitories for students attending the National Cathedral School. In 1977, the Cathedral sold the property to Youth for Understanding, and international student exchange group. Under institutional use, Rosedale's historical landscape faded to a shadow of its former beauty.
Neighbors banded together to purchase Rosedale, tear down the dormitory buildings, restore the 18th-Century landscape, preserve the land forever as Cleveland Park's Village Green.
Rosedale is managed by The Rosedale Conservancy, a volunteer group of neighbors. The Conservancy is financially supported through the generosity of hundreds of local residents.
To learn more about Rosedale's history, its popular community events, and how to become a member, please visit: rosedaleconservancy.org
Erected by The Rosedale Conservancy
Location. 38° 56.083′ N, 77° 4.123′ W. Marker is in Cleveland Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Newark Street Northwest and 35th Street NW, on the right when traveling west on Newark Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 5. Site of Red Top (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 9. Rosedale (about 700 feet away); 12. Map (approx. 0.2 miles away); 7. Early Fire Fighting (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington National Cathedral (approx. ¼ mile away); Cathedral Heights Business District (approx. ¼ mile away); 15. Landscape (approx. ¼ mile away); 14. Flower (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland Park.
Also see . . .
1. The Rosedale Conservancy. (Submitted on January 7, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.)
2. Rosedale (Washington, D.C.). (Submitted on February 12, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.)
3. Rosedale, National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on February 12, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.)
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 7, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 91 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 7, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.