Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rogue River in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Evan's Ferry

 
 
Evan's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, May 24, 2014
1. Evan's Ferry Marker
Inscription. Davis Evans established the first ferry this site in 1851. It was known as Jewett's Ferry, 1853-1861. The 1862 flood destroyed the ferry, but it was replaced. The Woodville (Rogue River) Bridge was built in 1909.
 
Erected 1979 by Southern Oregon Historical Society.
 
Location. 42° 25.868′ N, 123° 10.328′ W. Marker is in Rogue River, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on Rogue River Hwy (U.S. 99). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grants Pass OR 97527, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crossing the Rogue (a few steps from this marker); A Bridge for a New Century (a few steps from this marker); Rising above the Rogue (a few steps from this marker); The City of Rogue River (within shouting distance of this marker); Applegate Trail - Fort Birdseye (approx. 2 miles away); Fort Birdseye (approx. 2 miles away); Valley of the Rogue Applegate Trail Kiosk (approx. 2.6 miles away); Rock Point, Oregon (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rogue River.
 
More about this marker. Marker is located in a riverside park near the Rogue River Chamber of Commerce
 
Regarding Evan's Ferry.
Evan's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, May 24, 2014
2. Evan's Ferry Marker
A book titled 'A History of Oregon Ferries Since 1826' contains a quick history on Even's Ferry and tells us:

"1851-1854: Davis Evans operated ferries at several locations. According to most contemporary references, the ferry site of Davis "Coyote" Evans was located at the mouth of Evans Creek at the site to become the city of Rogue River in about 1851. The Evans Ferry site was the next settlement up river from the Perkins Ferry. The ferry site was originally called Tailholt, then Woodville then, finally in 1912, City of Rogue River. The ferry and the traffic to and from the gold fields in California and Oregon provided the original focus of the city. According to the Table Rock Sentinel (Southern Oregon Historical Society) Jan/Feb 1992, No. 1, page 28-29). the first ferry consisted of three hewn logs about thirty inches in diameter covered with planks. It measured 8 feet wide x 45 feet long. A double pulley and winch was used to draw the ferry across the river. The cable was secured to an oak tree on one side and a pile of rocks on the other side."
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement