Silver Spring in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
• Reforestation project: 60 native trees were planted.
• Cisterns: 6 concrete pads and rainwater collection cisterns were installed.
• Conservation landscaping: 23 shrubs, 692 perennials, and 254 grasses were added to the area.
Grant Award: $32,000 grant from the Chesapeake Bay Trust through the Montgomery County Water Quality Protection Fund administered by the Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection
Recipient: Glen Waye Garden Condominiums (Glen Waye)
Grantee: Bethesda Green
Partners: Montgomery County RainScapes, Tree Montgomery
• Storing water for later use reduces watering costs for the community and reduce the cost of landscape maintenance.
• Many gallons of water are shed from the building roofs. By diverting water from the roof to the above ground cisterns, we are able to capture rain water, which is then applied to trees, shrubs, perenials, and grasses near the buildings.
• By 2025, about half the world's population (3.5 billion people) will live in areas without enough water for agriculture, industry, and human needs.
Location. 39° 3.753′ Touch for map. This marker is located in the Glenmont neighborhood of Silver Spring. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2207 Greenery Lane, Silver Spring MD 20906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Conservation Landscaping (within shouting distance of this marker); Reforestation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emerald Ash Borer (approx. half a mile away); Shorefield (approx. 0.6 miles away); Regional Parks (approx. 0.6 miles away); Garden Lunch/Recess Lessons (approx. 0.7 miles away); Monarch Waystation (approx. 0.7 miles away); During the Summer and Fall in 2002... (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silver Spring.
Also see . . . Stormwater Management at Glen Waye Gardens. Video describing the program (Submitted on October 14, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Environment •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on January 12, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on January 12, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on January 12, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.