Near White City in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
US Army Camp White
Most of Camp White buildings were wood but the Station Hospital, a giant 1400-bed institution, was built of brick and considered "semi-permanent." Camp White's population was 40,000, three times the size of Medford at the time. An estimated 100,000 troops were trained at Camp White for service in World War II.
Camp White was decommissioned in 1945 and most of the buildings were razed or relocated for other uses. After, considering a number of possibilities, the station hospital was transferred to the Veterans Administration, now the Department of Veterans Affairs. It was re-opened as Camp White Domicillary in February 1949. Much of the old building core was redeveloped as an industrial
The buildings of the Camp White Station Hospital are among the best surviving elements of Camp White and represent an important period of southern Oregon and our nation's history. Building 200, the hospital's Administration Building, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.
Erected by Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center and Clinics.
Location. 42° 26.443′ N, 122° 50.414′ W. Marker is near White City, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on Avenue H near Crater Lake Highway (Oregon Route 62). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White City OR 97503, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bybee Ferry (approx. 2.7 miles away); Eagle Point Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Antelope Creek Bridge Eagle Point (approx. 3.1 miles away); Snowy Butte Mill (approx. 3.1 miles away); Eagle Point National Cemetery Vietnam Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); Oregon Fallen War Heroes Memorial (approx. 4½ miles away); Table Rock Monument (approx. 4.9 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is located if front of the Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center and Clinics Administration building, #200.
Also see . . . Camp White - The Oregon Encyclopedia. Construction of the $27 million camp began in January 1942 and continued around the clock for six months. The first troops arrived by summer, and more than 1,300 buildings were completed for the 91st Division's reactivation ceremony on August 15, 1942. At its peak, more than 40,000 soldiers were stationed at the base, including (beginning in late 1943) German POWs. (Submitted on January 13, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Science & Medicine • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 13, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.