Sheridan-Kalorama in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
History of Sheridan-Kalorama
—Call Box Restoration Project —
The area known as Sheridan-Kalorama was patented to John Langsworth by King Charles II in 1668. It was later sold to Anthony Holmead who in turn willed it to his nephew. in 1791, as L'Enfant laid out his plans for the boundaries of the new federal city, this area was not included. It would remain rural and isolated for nearly a century.
In 1807 Joel Barlow, a Connecticut native and friend of President Thomas Jefferson, bought the property (essentially all of present-day Sheridan-Kalorama) for $14,000 Barlow remodeled and expanded an existing house and named it Kalorama, from the Greek for "beautiful view."
Development north along Connecticut Avenue did not begin until after 1890. Then a new American elite — tycoons of mining, banking, shipping and railroads - triggered a building boom in Kalorama. Soon bridges were built across Rock Creek Valley on Massachusetts and Connecticut Avenues. New Beaux-arts style apartments began to line Connecticut Avenue and California Street, lending a distinctive architectural cachet to this area. By the 1920s, elites built elegant row houses and enormous mansions along Massachusetts Avenue and interior streets.
During the 1920s and 1930s many of these mansions became embassies, making Sheridan-Kalorama the most international section of the capital city.
Art on Call
Art on Call uses the remaining antique fire and police call boxes to create public art across the city. A committee of residents began working together in 2003 to implement the project here in Sheridan-Kalorama, focusing on three themes: history, architecture and personalities. In the effort to transform these relics of another day into permanent sentinels of beauty and historical significance, the committee benefited immensely from the talents and creativity of several Washington artists and historians and the financial support of many friends of the project.
Art on Call, a program of Cultural Tourism DC is funded in part by the DC Commission on Arts and Humanities, the Department of Transportation, and the Office of Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development.
Call Box Locations and Themes
P = Police Call Box
F = Fire Call Box
Number, Location and Theme
1. Decatur Pl. and 22nd St (P), Police Services
2. Decatur Pl. and 22nd St. (F), Fire Services
4. Mass. and Florida Ave. and 22nd St. (F), George Washington
5. 23rd St, Sheridan Circle, S (P), The Gilded Age
6. Mass. Ave. and 24th St. (P), Kalorama
7. Bancroft Pl. and 23rd St. (P), Joel Barlow
8. California St. and Phelps Pl (P), Educational Institutions
9. Wyoming Ave. and Conn. Ave. (F), Architects and Architecture
10. Kalorama Rd. and 23rd St. (P), Little Friar
11. Wyoming Ave. and 23rd St. (F), The Presidents
12. Tracy Pl. and 24th St. (P), Chief Justices
13. Kalorama Rd. and 24th St (F), The Lindens
14. Kalorama Rd. and Tracy Pl. (F), Women of Influence
15. Belmont Rd. and Tracy Pl. (P), Houses of Worship
16. Mass. Ave. and Belmont Rd. (F), Diplomacy
By 1885 Kalorama had been surveyed and platted. As the city expanded into this neighborhood — slowly due to isolation from street car lines and high land values — the need for police services followed. This original police call box depicts a footman on patrol calling the precinct house. Each call box connected directly to the precinct switch board. A light above that board showed the location of the call. The patrol officer reported hourly from one of the seven neighborhood boxes. A rule of the job was never to call twice from the same box,
About the Artist:
Micahel K. Ross, artist is a sculptor and painter in the realist style.
D. Philip Baker, Chair
Holly Sukenik, Treasurer
Mary Eva Candon, ANC Commissioner
Sandra Perlmutter, ANC Commissioner
Design Consultant: Suporo Creative
Restoration Consultant: Frank Askwright
Fabrication and Intallation: Golberg Signs, Inc.
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 1 & 2.)
Location. 38° 54.798′ N, 77° 2.92′ W. Marker is in Sheridan-Kalorama, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Decatur Place Northwest and 22nd Street NW, on the right when traveling east on Decatur Place Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2122 Decatur Pl NW, Washington DC 20008, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alberto Santos-Dumont (within shouting distance of this marker); The Arts in Sheridan-Kalorama (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Anthony Holmead Site (about 400 feet away); American News Women's Club (about 400 feet away); From 1890 to 1910 (about 600 feet away); Eleftherios Venizelos (about 600 feet away); George Washington (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sheridan-Kalorama.
Categories. • Architecture • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 13, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.