The Overseer's House was moved to the Rural Life Museum from Welham Plantation in St. James Parish in 1970. It had been continuously occupied from its construction c. 1835 until the mid-1960s. Welham was sold as an industrial site (Marathon Oil) in 1975 and the "Big House" was demolished in May, 1979.
The Overseer's House walls originally were constructed of bousillage (a mixture of mud and moss). This was mated changed to plaster over wooden laths. Upon relocation to its current site, the front wall was changed to briquette-entre-poteaux (brick between posts).
Donated by L. Keller and Company
Erected by LSU Rural Life Museum. (Marker Number 16.)
Location. 30° 24.631′ N, 91° 6.932′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker can be reached from Essen Lane (State Highway 3064) near Interstate 10, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge LA 70808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bagatelle Kitchen (a few steps from this marker); Smokehouse (a few steps from this marker); Schoolhouse (a few steps
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the LSU Rural Life Museum
Also see . . . LSU Rural Life Museum. (Submitted on January 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 14, 2018.