The Commissary was originally built in 1850 as an extension to an older building at Welham Plantation that acted as a port for shipping and receiving supplies along the Mississippi River. This building was constructed in the Classical Revival architectural style with briquette-entre-poteaux additions.
The commissary was first used as a storehouse for the plantation. Around 1900 it became a general store and post office that served, not only the plantation population, but also the surrounding community. It was moved to the Rural Life Museum in 1972.
Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Overseer's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Oak Ridge, Louisiana Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Bagatelle Kitchen (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Donated: L. Keller and Company
Erected by LSU Rural Life Museum. (Marker Number 27.)
Location. 30° 24.659′ N, 91° 6.941′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker can be reached from Essen Lane (State Road 3064) south of Interstate 10, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge LA 70808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Romeville Post Office (here, next to this marker); Farquhar Steam Engine Boiler (a few steps from this marker); Mound Place Pigeon Cote
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the LSU Rural Life Museum.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 15, 2018.