Sioux Falls in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Congress appropriated $30,000 in 1881 for the construction of a prison in Sioux Falls to serve Dakota Territory. In order to finance a building large enough to house up to 150 inmates, the territorial legislature authorized a bond issue for a like amount. By November 1882 the first wing was finished. Prisoners were returned from Detroit, Michigan, whree they had been sent to serve their sentences while Dakota was without a penitentiary.
This location was obtained as a quarry for the prison.
Armed guards marched gangs of prisoners down the bluff to quarry Sioux quartzite. The prisoners then used horse drawn wagons to haul dressed blocks of quartzite up the 100 feet north bluff to build additional buildings in the prison compound. In two years the facility was nearly completed, including residence for the warden and his family.
Prisoners also used stone from this quarry to build a wall to enclose the prison yard. It replaced the wooden stockade that first surrounded the prison.
Erected 2004 by Minnehaha County Historical Society and the City of Sioux Falls.
Location. 43° 33.445′ N, 96° 43.412′ W. Marker is in Sioux Falls Touch for map. Marker is located in Falls Park. Marker is in this post office area: Sioux Falls SD 57104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hazel O'Connor (within shouting distance of this marker); Legacy of Ice and Rock (within shouting distance of this marker); Falls Park Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monarch of the Plains (about 400 feet away); The Promise of Electricity (about 500 feet away); In the Name of Progress (about 600 feet away); Artisans at the Falls (about 600 feet away); The Dubuque House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sioux Falls.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.