Seattle in King County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
You're Now a Part of History
1893 - 1985
Landscape architect Edward O. Schwagerl, Superintendent of Parks, is the primary designer for Kinnear Park. Most improvements completed by 1894.
George and Angie Kinnear donate 11 acres to the City of Seattle for $1, followed by an additional 3 acres in 1897.
George Cotterill's influential Bicycle Plan attract many people to Kinnear Park, showing paths leading to the park from downtown and adjacent neighborhoods.
A lily pond and foot bridge built at the bottom of the park (pond later filled in and bridge removed).
The renowned Olmsted Brothers landscape architecture firm, when visiting Kinnear Park, praises it for its spectacular views of Puget Sound and downtown.
Seattle City Council inspecting the recently completed Kinnear Park, here take a moment to relax on the lawn.
As part of the "Saturday in the Park," program, a concert was held, sponsored by the Queen Anne Historical Society.
Shoreline below the park filled to make way for
Erected by Seattle Parks and Recreation.
Location. 47° 37.557′ N, 122° 21.869′ W. Marker is in Seattle, Washington, in King County. Marker is on West Roy Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seattle WA 98119, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. De La Mar Apartments (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Commercial Monorail in the United States (approx. ¾ mile away); Chief Seattle (approx. one mile away); Fire Bell No. 4 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Why Are the Piers Angled? (approx. 1.2 miles away); Speakeasy Café (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bell Street Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bell Street Terminal, Pier 66 (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seattle.
More about this marker. Marker is located at the SE entrance to Kinnear Park
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.