Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palm Springs in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Original Palm Springs

 
 
The Original Palm Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 23, 2013
1. The Original Palm Springs Marker
Marker has been removed from the site.
Inscription. The warm spring here was the site of Se-Khe (Boiling Water), important village of the Kawasic Cahuilla Indians. The Spanish called it Agua Caliente (Hot Water). A stage station of that name operated from 1862 to 1876. As early as 1871 the Indians operated a bath house for tourists and the site tribally owned. Because of the surrounding native palm trees, it was later called "Palm Springs".
 
Erected by Riverside County Historical Society. (Marker Number RIV-025.)
 
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 33° 49.403′ N, 116° 32.724′ W. Marker was in Palm Springs, California, in Riverside County. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Palm Springs CA 92262, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Welwood Murray Memorial Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plaza Theatre (about 400 feet away); Desert Inn (was about 500 feet away but has been reported missing. ); Oasis Hotel (about 500 feet away); Lykken’s Department Store (about 600 feet away); Site of First Community Church
The Original Palm Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, January 27, 2013
2. The Original Palm Springs Marker
Marker has been removed from the site.
(about 600 feet away); McCallum House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cork'n Bottle Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palm Springs.
 
Regarding The Original Palm Springs. In the summer of 2014, the Agua Caliente Tribe made the announcement that they planned to demolish the spa casino that existed at this site for many years. In June of 2015, the spa casino was demolished to the disappointed of many locals who had hoped the Tribe would have at least preserved a few architectural elements of the building complex. The Aqua Caliente Tribe will not disclose what their plans are to do with the property so it currently sits fenced off and an empty lot.

Interestingly, the Agua Caliente Spring that exists where the two historical markers once resided has been bulldozed over and nothing remains of the spring, the site of the birthplace of Palm Springs. In many ways, this has been a sad demise of this historic area for tourists to at least appreciate and learn a little history of Palm Springs. My assumption is the Riverside County Historical Society has relocated the historical markers to their headquarters until they can hopefully be replaced sometime in the future.
The Original Palm Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
January 27, 2013
3. The Original Palm Springs Marker
Marker has been removed from the site. View of spa casino prior to demolition.

 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement