Near Hot Springs in Fall River County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
June 1876 ~ June 1877
Camp at the Mouth of the Red Canyon, sometimes called Camp Collier, was established at this site in mid-June 1876 tp protect travelers over the 150-mile Cheyenne - Black Hills stage road. It came into being after the Sioux, resentful of the white invasion of their sacred Paha Sapa, had that spring killed a number of persons traveling through the steep-walled canyon, believed to be the most practical route from Cheyenne to the newly-found Black Hills gold fields. The camp was garrisoned by Co. K. Fourth Infantry, on detached service from its headquarters post at Fort Laramie, Wyoming Territory, and it was commanded by Captain William S. Collier. The garrison initially included two officers, 48 enlisted men and one civilian physician, but subsequently varied from 38 to 58, excluding the women laundresses and their children. The troopers constructed a stockade 125 feet square, with bastions on the northeast and southwest corners, on the flat below the mouth of the canyon, and planted evergreens around it. The Cheyenne - Black Hills telegraph line reached the post on 30 September and Custer on 19 October 1876. There was little trouble with the Indians following establishment of the camp, but alkaline water, boredom, and desertions were major problems. The stockade was abandoned 12 June 1877 when the stage company opened a short-cut
Location. 43° 20.451′ N, 103° 46.971′ W. Marker is near Hot Springs, South Dakota, in Fall River County. Marker is on U.S. 18 0.2 miles east of Red Canyon Rd, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hot Springs SD 57747, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Teddy Roosevelts's Visit to Edgemont (approx. 3.6 miles away).
Categories. • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.