Astoria in Clatsop County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
14th Street Ferry Slip
Capt. Fritz Elfving and the Astoria-North Beach Ferry Co.
In 1921, responding to increasing popularity of travel by automobile, Captain Fritz Elfving formed the Astoria-North Beach Ferry Company to transport passengers and cars across the Columbia River. His ferry slip on the Oregon side of the river was located here at the foot of 14th Street in Astoria.
In 1927, a competing ferry line was established nearby, operating the Union Pacific ferry North Beach between Astoria and Megler, Washington, directly across the river from here. In 1932 the owners of the rival ferry service attempted to run Capt. Elfving out of business by driving pilings in front of his 14th St. landing. Capt. Elfving responded by ramming apart the pilings with the new and stoutly built Tourist No. 3, the flagship of his line. Drifting pieces of broken timbers later disabled the North Beach for several days. Capt. Elfving finally bought out his competitors in 1934, ending the local “ferry wars.”
The State of Oregon took over Capt. Elfving’s ferry service in 1946, adding the new steel ferry M.R. Chessman in 1947. Increasing auto traffic in the 1950s brought frequent traffic pile-ups during the summer season. Finally, the present 3.7 mile-long bridge spanning the Columbia River from Astoria to Pt. Ellice, Washington was begun in 1962 and completed
Erected by City of Astoria.
Location. 46° 11.392′ N, 123° 49.725′ W. Marker is in Astoria, Oregon, in Clatsop County. Marker is at the intersection of East Columbia River Highway (U.S. 30) and 14th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Columbia River Highway. Touch for map. Marker overlooks the Columbia River, at the base of the 14th Street Pier, at the point where 14th Street meets the river. Marker is at or near this postal address: 175 14th Street, Astoria OR 97103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gimre's Shoe Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbia River Tugs And Towboats (within shouting distance of this marker); Pilots on the Columbia River (within shouting distance of this marker); Into the Unknown (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); At Play on the River (about 500 feet away); Harvesting River & Sea (about 600 feet away); A Waterfront at Work (about 600 feet away); Fort Astoria (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Astoria.
Also see . . .
1. Astoria to Washington Ferries.
In 1916 construction was completed on the Columbia River Highway (today's Highway 30) linking Astoria and Portland. (Submitted on January 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Astoria–Megler ferry.
Ferry service across the Columbia River from Astoria, Oregon to Megler, Washington began in the summer of 1920 when Capt. Fritz S. Elfving set up a scow as an improvised ferry and transported over 700 vehicles during that summer. In April 1921, Elfving incorporated as the Astoria-McGowan Ferry Company. Elfving persuaded the Astoria City Council to use municipal funds to construct a ferry dock on the Oregon side of the river. (Submitted on January 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Astoria ferry makes Restore Oregon’s most endangered list.
Restore Oregon has named the ferry Tourist No. 2 one of its 12 most endangered places in 2018. The nonprofit Astoria Ferry Group is restoring the 93-year-old vessel to be used for river excursions and other events. Built in 1924, the (Submitted on January 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Last updated on January 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.